It's time for you to have a chat with one of your parallel universe selves. Who do you choose and why?
The open office and the spirit of capitalism
The African Middle Ages #heyfeedfox https://spectator.us/realms-gold-africas-rich-history/
"performance drives success, but when performance can’t be measured, networks drive success”
Four laws of success and status
Corrective criticism seeks to pull the recipient towards the critic's way of thinking. Explorational criticism seeks to push the recipient towards areas new to both the recipient and the critic. It is risky for the critic, since one can be simultaneously seen as both villain and incompetent fool, but can result in maximal growth. It is the high-risk, high-reward outcome. Trust and tact reduce the risk.
"All models are wrong, but some are useful" is a good guideline for fruitful discussion. Unfortunately, we often punish model proponents for being "false" rather than giving them kudos for being "falsifiable." We decry a model for being "limited" rather than applaud a model that is properly delimited.
"We can now declare victory at any point" is the realization that marks the transition from main quest to sandbox play. It is often the precondition for truly surprising creative work. The feeling of a hollow victory may be the misidentified need for play.
250 years later, benefits of education near Jesuit missions #heyfeedfox https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2018/11/09/years-after-jesuits-were-expelled-towns-near-their-missions-still-have-higher-education-incomes/?utm_term=.23584239d34f
In the economy of aphorisms, insight = revenue, oversimplification = cost
The abstraction of meaning Show more
One traces a frantic trajectory, trying to find True North, or at least end up somewhere "New and Notable." But then at some point, meaning is no longer a vector (positional or directional) but a history. The trajectory being traced was a map for future journeys.
Science outreach director: "90 percent of this job is paperwork and pestering people. But the other 10 percent is so worthwhile. I love it." She smiles and it makes me feel light. I try to look for something forced in her smile and am ashamed of looking.
Billboard east of SF: Robots can't take your job if you retire first.
Chef at Michelin star sushi restaurant: "I used to be head chef overseeing 8 locations. Now I work 4 days a week, trying to get it down to 2. I am a perfectionist, can't compromise. I'd be a terrible politician." His bald head gleams brightly, polished to a sheen. He looks young, but when he's not smiling, his face sags with tiredness, a look of default sadness.
The term "writer's block" strikes me as an absurdly primitive description of something that is often vastly more complex. Writing is like precipitation. For a particular work, we may attempt to elicit rain from a writer's *cloud*. On longer time scales, we are doing writer's *climate engineering*.
When we give a state of mind a name, we strip it of its context. Depression is a snapshot. Within one life it is deadly inertia. Within another it is "ash work," the process of being reborn.
Tired-wired-inspired is usually not how it goes for me. More often, I am wired, do low-value feel-good work until I am tired, then keep going, then get burnt out, then ponder the point of everything. The background has been expunged. False positives give way to false negatives. That's when inspiration strikes.
Costume ideas for a STEM outreach event about "Inventing the Future"? I promise not to automatically take your ideas seriously.
PhD student studying biophysics.
Mastodon instance for attendees of Refactor Camp, and members of various online/offline groups that have grown out of it. Related local groups with varying levels of activity exist in the Bay Area, New York, Chicago, and Austin.
Kinda/sorta sponsored by the Ribbonfarm Blogamatic Universe.
If you already know a few people in this neck of the woods, try and pick a handle they'll recognize when you sign up. Please note that the registration confirmation email may end up in your spam folder, so check there. It should come from administrator Zach Faddis.