The intellectual influence freemium hierarchy citation airline
1. Basic economy tier: tag on twitter
2. Economy: cite in general terms, mostly to CYA and insure against them sending their troll mobs after you or beefing with you
3. Premium economy: faithfully imitate their patterns, acknowledging influence
4. Mileage program early boarding: summarize their work for others, evangelize
5. Business class: cite for a specific idea that you actually need to build on, but in a sufficient way, not necessary. There are other competing sources to cite that would serve as well, so choosing one is some mix of buy-in to a subcultural game, voting, buying influence, and respect,
6. First class: cite for a specific and necessary idea that’s available nowhere else, or is so clearly best of breed it would be small-minded/ungracious to cite the competition. Taleb operates here.
7. Chartered private jet: pick an evil-twin beef/subvert them. Imitation is not the highest form of flattery. Subversion is.
8. Your own private jet: include-and-transcend in a bigger idea, forcing authority to turn into student if they don’t want to retire
The social network of the future: No ads, no corporate surveillance, ethical design, and decentralization! Own your data with Mastodon!